What is Somewear?
Somewear is a satellite communications solution designed for our increasingly digital world. onX and Somewear work together to allow you to share Waypoints with other users while offline. That means no cell service or Wi-Fi is required, only a clear line of sight to the sky and Somewear's Global Hotspot device.
Click here to visit the Somewear Labs website.
Most of Somewear's satellite data plans allow a limited number of messages per month, so Somewear Labs' technology uses satellite only if no other connections are available. If there is a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection available, Somewear will Share your Waypoints that way instead of via satellite to make sure you don't use up your message allotment unnecessarily.
Click here to view Somewear's satellite data plan pricing options.
Click here to learn more about the partnership between onX and Somewear.
Preparing to Share Waypoints offline
The sender and receiver of the Waypoint must each have their own onX account and their own Somewear account. Sharing Waypoints from one device to another does not work if both devices are logged in to the same account.
Click here to purchase the Somewear Global Hotspot from Somewear Labs.
Click here to sign up for a satellite data subscription from Somewear Labs.
Click here to download the Somewear Mobile App.
Step 1: Set up your Somewear account
Click here to set up you free Somewear account using the Somewear Labs website.
*IMPORTANT!* Use the same email address you use with your onX account to create your Somewear account, otherwise Sharing via Somewear will not work.
Step 2: Download and log in to the Somewear App
1. Click here to download the Somewear Mobile App.
2. Choose "Sign in with email," and enter your Somewear account info.
Step 3: Connect to the Somewear Global Hotspot via Bluetooth
1. Turn your mobile device's Bluetooth connection on. Click here for instructions on how to use Bluetoooth on iPhones or iPads or Android devices.
2. Open the Somewear App and log in with your email and password.
3. Ensure that the Somewear Global Hotspot is turned off, then press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. It will continue turn on, but continue to hold the power button until the LED light starts flashing quickly.
4. Tap "Connect Hotspot" at the bottom of the screen.
Click here for Somewear's instructions on setting up your Global Hotspot.
Sending and receiving Waypoints offline
1. The sender of the Waypoint must have the Somewear Global Hotspot and the Somewear App installed on their mobile device.
2. Open the My Content Menu and tap the three dots to the right of the Waypoint you want to share.
3. Tap "Share with Somewear."
1. The receiver of the Waypoint must also have the Somewear Global Hotspot and the Somewear App installed if they plan to receive the Waypoint outside the cell network.
2. To receive Waypoints without the Somewear Global Hotspot, the receiver must have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection.
3. When the other user Shares a Waypoint using Somewear with you, a notification will appear on your mobile device. Tap the notification to open the Somewear App to the location of the Waypoint.
4. To view the Waypoints in one of your onX apps, tap the Waypoint in Somewear, then tap the onX app you want to use.
Keep in mind that when you share a Waypoint using Somewear, it is added to the other user's account as if they created the Waypoint themselves, meaning you cannot remove a Waypoint from their account after you share it.